Back Pain Causes and Chiropractic Treatment Options in Wichita, KS
Content reviewed by Dr. Rachel Sparks, DC
What are Symptoms of Back Pain?
While back pain can vary significantly, below are some common symptoms of back pain.
- Intermittent, sharp and stingy pain
- Constant, dull ache in your back muscles
- Pain that gets worse when you stand, lift, bend, or walk
- Unpleasant sensations experienced elsewhere in the lower or upper body, depending on the mechanism of injury and type of tissue damaged (i.e. muscles, ligaments, tendons, bone, fascia, or nerves).
Different symptoms and location of symptoms will correspond with the different damaged tissues. To help your chiropractor at ICT Muscle & Joint Clinic properly identify which structures are damaged, please be aware of and able to describe the type of pain present, its frequency, and which activities increase pain.
Contact our chiropractors today if any of the following occur:
- Radiating or traveling pain
- Electrical shooting pain
- Bowel or bladder problems
- Numbness or pins and needles
- Weakness of the lower body
- Excessive pain upon waking up or sitting
What are Causes of Back Pain?
All causes of back pain occur when any given tissue becomes over-stressed or compromised via excessive load. Often, this stress or compromise is a direct result of your daily activities and habits. Unless a traumatic accident has occurred, without treatment, back pain will become a chronic problem because the mechanics of the body have been compromised by activities of your daily life.
Common Causes of Back Pain
- Improper hip motion
- Rounding of the back as “normal” posture
- Infrequent changes in posture
- Prolonged sitting
- Improper lifting of heavy objects
- Tightness in your latissimus dorsi (a.k.a. lat)
- Improper extension of your thoracic spine
- Bulging or ruptured discs
Our Chiropractic Treatment Approach for Back Pain
At ICT Muscle & Joint Clinic, we focus on treating the symptoms and root cause of your pain. The body is a dynamic, mobile structure and must be assessed and treated as such to create successful, long-term outcomes. Surrounding all joints, there must be a balance between tension and compression of the ligaments, muscles, tendons, and fascia. When pain is present, it is due to an imbalance of these structures. This requires mobilization and release of tight structures, in addition to strengthening weak or inhibited structures of the painful joint(s), as well as the joint(s) above and the joint(s) below.
If you’re experiencing back pain, whether it be lower, mid, or upper back pain, our chiropractors at ICT Muscle & Joint Clinic in Wichita, KS can help! We employ the best scientific, evidence-based, treatment procedures using a combination of chiropractic manipulation, soft tissue therapy, and rehabilitative exercises. Our chiropractic treatments focus on a comprehensive approach geared toward lasting results. Together, our chiropractors will work with you to assess your pain, determine appropriate treatments and therapies, and develop corrective exercises to address the root cause of your back pain – all leading to a path of long-term improved health and movement.
Visit One of Chiropractic Clinics in Wichita, KS
We have two clinics conveniently located in Wichita, KS so you are never far from your favorite chiropractor! Whether you live in East Wichita or West Wichita, check out one of our chiropractic clinics today.